Post surgical pain can be intolerable, especially after an orthopedic procedure. The good news is that modern pain management treatment can alleviate a significant degree of pain and discomfort. There are healthcare centers in New York where physicians offer treatments that provide great relief to patients who have recently undergone a knee surgery.
Pain Management Specialists
These specialists comprise a team of medical practitioners such as psychologists, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, chiropractors, neurologists and orthopedists. They assess the condition of the patient and take into account the extensiveness of the surgery. This helps them formulate a customized multi-disciplinary treatment plan by combining pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic procedures.
Effective Pain Relieving Techniques
Symptoms of pain are addressed at the physical and psychological level by adopting certain techniques. These are effective if performed under the care and guidance of experienced doctors.
- Rest and relaxation – It is the most essential part of the treatment plan, especially after a major knee surgery such as a knee replacement.
- Muscle relaxation and exercises – Therapists would assist patients in both the techniques to ease stress related pain and improve joint motion.
- Heat or cold compressions – These help to reduce the intensity of pain and swelling.
- NSAIDS and narcotic medication – Physicians prescribe pain relieving and anti-inflammatory drugs if needed.
- Pain relieving modalities – TENS Unit (Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) may be used to decrease pain perception.
- Knee elevation – Patients who have had a knee replacement surgery would need to elevate their legs higher than their hip. This positioning can be adopted when the patient is in bed, recliner or chair as this would reduce the sensation of pain.
Live a Life Free from Pain
Patients don’t have to worry about suffering excruciating pain after a knee surgery. Pain management centers are there to help you live a comfortable life. It is best to learn about what you can expect after a surgical procedure and be prepared. Talk to specialists and know how quickly they can get you back on your feet with their specialized care.